Pastoral Vacancy Attachment A
The following is a Standard of Service for the Senior Pastor:
(1) Proclaim the gospel and lead all associated ministers, church leaders and
members in the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ and fulfill the purpose and
mission of the church.
(2) Provide care (including visitation, counseling, and prayer) for persons
and lead Deacons and church members to provide the same care for
persons in the church and in the community.
(3) Provide administrative leadership to guide the church in attainment of the
divine mission with measurable impact on the community.
(4) Provide leadership for congregational services and lead in conducting the
church ordinances (Lord’s Supper and Baptism). The pastor is solely
responsible for seeing that the pulpit is filled, but in the event he is
incapacitated and unable to do so, then the assistant to the pastor or the
designated alternate shall fill the pulpit until the pastor is able to resume
(5) Conduct wedding ceremonies and funeral services.
(6) Works closely with the Deacons in their training and performance in their
work of proclamation, caring, building up the church fellowship, and
other services they may render to help the pastor as he leads the church
to fulfill it divine mission.
(7) Serve as ex-officio member of all church committees, and moderate the
church business meetings. As an ex-officio member of all church
committees, the pastor may attend any meeting he desires, and he must
be kept informed by the committees when and where they meet. The
pastor’s attendance is not mandatory at any committee meeting, except
for the church council and business meetings, and he may only vote on
issues in a committee meeting to break a tie.
(8) Supervise church staff members with coaching and accountability. Provide
leadership training and development for a process of equipping church members
to become tomorrow’s leaders.